Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Portland Stash Acquisition

At King Street Station, I was given a bag with 2 skeins of Knit Pick’s Swish DK. The one that I didn’t use is Cinnamon, and the one I did use is a deep shade of turquoise. Both lovely colors, but I didn’t want to mess around with multiple colors, so I just chose one and have the other leftover.
Upon arriving at Union Station, we were greeted by the Portland knitters who were handing out ½ ounce packages of a hand-dyed spinning fiber. The colors were very lovely, as you can see by the sample that I received. Then, the shopping began.
I really enjoyed being able to buy some yarns from some store that are new to me. There is something so special about finding oneself in a yarn store that is new to explore. At Knit Knot Studio, a small yarn store, I found Elsebeth Lavold’s Silky Wool. I love this yarn, and based on something said to me at my LYS, Village Yarn and Tea, I thought that it had been discontinued. I was so happy to see that they had an ample supply at Knit Knot. I have had my eye on a sweater vest made from Knitty’s Honeycomb pattern. The pattern calls for this yarn and I loved the bright, cheery red, so I happily bought enough to make the vest. The price was better than I was expecting and the 20% discount sure didn’t hurt! :)
Onward to Knit Purl, I enjoyed looking at the larger selection of yarns. They have their own “house brand” named Shi Bui. I bought this one skein of sock yarn to make some ankle socks.



Finally, we arrived at Dublin Bay. They had a great selection of yarns and such beautiful colors. They also sell many kits for various types of projects. Lately, I have wanted to start another lace project. I nearly bought some lace weight yarn at Village Yarn a couple of weeks ago, but changed my mind at the last minute. It was almost this same color! This is soft but still sticky enough that I may try out my skills that I expect to learn at next weekend’s class with Ruth Sorenson, Steeked Shawls.

1 comments:

Karen said...

They are all so gorgeous - great choices!