Before I started the Pan-Am Jacket, I read through the directions. There seemed to be something off or just plain missing near the end, but I thought that this must be one of the few times when I just need trust the pattern and do it to understand. Now that I am near the end, I realize that there is indeed a piece of the pattern missing! I have tried to find errata on the Interweave website and even gone to the KAL boards to find information. I've even checked for posts on Ravelry. I finally looked at the notes on the projects of people who have already finished their sweater. One post in particular was very helpful. She is very specific about the changes that she made and goes into fine detail about how she knit the border. Now that I've read it, I just hope that it isn't too late. I may not have picked up enough stitches at the beginning of the border. I will finish any way, though, hopeful that blocking will remove any issues. I am so near finishing and really hope that I can accomplish it before Saturday morning. It would be so nice to show off the finished project to my little knitting group!
Thursday, August 30, 2012
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Tuesday, August 21, 2012
Last Saturday, K and I had a wonderful time knitting on our KAL sweaters, the Cassidy cardigan. We had finished all three bodice pieces and both sleeves. During this past week, both of us blocked our pieces in preparation for Saturday morning. Upon meeting, we began to sew the shoulder seams, using mattress stitch. The both look great! Next, we picked up many stitches to begin the hood. I managed a few inches on the hood before we broke for the afternoon. We agreed to finish knitting the hood by next Saturday so that we can pick up stitches for the front bands. Maybe we'll even finish the knitting next week!
The sweater is rather bulky to carry with me, so I have continued to work on the shawl that I started last week. I have it about two-thirds finished at this point and am really liking the way the yarn and pattern combine. I may be able to finish it before Saturday, too.
Posted by Danielle at 8/21/2012 10:00:00 AM
Friday, August 17, 2012
Here in the Seattle area, we're finally receiving some hot (for us) weather. As a result, I have not felt like doing much. Instead of the many other projects that have kept me busy in the past, I am now feeling the "bite of the knitting bug." However, the heat also makes me feel like I have a license to start new projects as my works in progress are all heavy wool sweaters. Sitting in the heat with over a pound of wool in my lap sounds like torture rather than enjoyment!
|5% of the pattern knitted by early 8/16|
|30% of the pattern knitted by the time of this post|
Posted by Danielle at 8/17/2012 10:00:00 AM
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
I've had good progress on my current sock project this week. On Saturday, I finished the first sock and the toe of the second. By Monday afternoon, I had finished the heel turn on the second sock. All is going well and I expect to have a finished pair by Saturday.
Next up: returning to the Cassidy cardigan. The two of us doing our mini KAL agreed to have the back and fronts blocked by Saturday so that we can start the hood together. All that is left on mine is the hood and front bands, so I am excited to get started on the next section. I intended to get started on the blocking before now, but supposed to be very warm this week, so I am unworried about it drying in time for Saturday's meeting. I plan to wash each piece in the sink and then lay it out to dry.
As for the Pan-Am Jacket, I may need to wait a week or two before continuing on it as having nearly two pounds of wool in my lap when the temperatures are reaching 90 degrees and no air conditioning really isn't very comfortable.
Posted by Danielle at 8/14/2012 10:00:00 AM
Tuesday, August 07, 2012
|toe of sock, second try|
Posted by Danielle at 8/07/2012 10:00:00 AM
Thursday, August 02, 2012
I haven't been cross stitching much this past week as I have been reorganizing my scrapbook supplies. I recently purchased a Scraprack and have been making alterations to my organization so that I can incorporate this new way of storing everything. Yesterday afternoon, I was making some slight changes to the themes that I have used to sort and store my stickers and die-cuts. I have created a few more themes and put all sizes of the same theme together rather than storing everything by size, then theme within major categories. I was using huge categories like: nature, kids and holidays. Now I have about a dozen that cover nature and kids. Holidays and seasons will remain in their own section. Watch the first video in the "Get Organized Challenge" on the Scraprack website if you're interested in the specific organization technique. I still have a ways to go, but am really excited that this should cause me to use much less space for storing my supplies and make them easier to find an use.
Next step: sort and store my paper. Hopefully, I'll finish this step tonight. I have an appointment, which will limit the time available.
Posted by Danielle at 8/02/2012 03:00:00 PM