Saturday, January 17, 2009

Health

Primarily, this is a knitting blog, but I just have to share some great news from my doctor. For awhile, now, she has been concerned over some insulin resistance that has been showing up on my blood work. (Insulin resistance often leads to diabetes, and I really don’t want to go there.) I have been trying to avoid sugar and other highly processed carbohydrates, as well as starting on some herbal and prescription blood sugar controlling medications. It looks like it is finally paying off!! I was told last Wednesday that my A1C (one of the best ways to check glucose levels) dropped .4 in just 3 months. I am so happy about this and am working with her, now, on the next thing. It feels so good to finally get a good report after 10 years of feeling powerless to do anything to affect the numbers.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Hurray!!!! I am so proud of you! Keep up the great work. I know the exercise is really helping too.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Now if I could only do the same thing with my cholesterol.

Your Secret Pal

Mack said...

Great news! I too am trying to change my sugar level (120)but I was not aware of the A1C that you mention. Would you be so kind to email your helps - I want it to be lower before my next labs in March.

g-girl said...

that's fantastic! keep up the good work. :)