Thursday, April 30, 2009

Skirt I

I have been doing some sewing, lately! A couple of Saturdays ago, I drove down to the local Joann's in search of some fabric and a pattern to make a spring/summer skirt. Finding this wonderful, cotton and lyrca fabric, I bought what they had remaining, along with a pattern (on sale for 1.99), a zipper and a spool of thread. As soon as I had arrived home, I put the fabric in the washing machine and had it washed, dried, ironed and cut out in a matter of hours. Fast forward a couple of days to 4/22. Since I had been up so late on 4/21, I did not go into work. My work gives 3 paid days as bereavement for employees in my situation, so I used the day to spend extra time with my husband and a little sewing. I started to work on this project, again, and found that in a matter of just an hour or two I had sewn all of the seams, inserted the zipper and serged the edge for the hem! By 4/25, I found some more time and sat down to finish. It only took about a half hour. I tacked down the waist facing and then ironed and sewed up the hem. It fits beautifully and I love the fabric.
This is from Butterick pattern # 4136 view C. I changed the waistline in the back so that it comes up a little higher and shortened the pattern abuot 2 inches so that it would fall right below the knee instead of at the widest part of my calves.