Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Caught the Startitis Bug...

Last night, I just couldn't resist any longer and cast on for another project. This I am planning to make another Christmas gift. The pattern is UnGranny Smith. My gauge is slightly tighter than recommended, but after doing the math, I can just knit 1 size bigger and expect it to come out well. If I were to go up a needle size, the fabric would look lacy. This gauge has plenty of drape, but is still without holes. I think its perfect. So far, the "curls" on the stockinette fabric are so much more fun to knit than plain and its really cute! This one will be for Mom, knit from Elann's Endless Summer Luna, a non-wool since she is allergic to wools.

The Spiralling Socks are going to be frogged, again. I think I was so ready for something new after realizing that I must "face a full frog" as put it so well by Put a Sock In It. I purchased the sock yarn for the purpose of knitting socks for Christmas gifts. Since it can be so difficult to find colors that are "manly," I really do need to rip and re-knit. However, I may give up with this pattern. When I need to frog, it takes all joy out of knitting with that pattern. Sometimes months later, I can work with it again in a different yarn, but I just don't have the motivation to work this one. I'm not very disappointed as I was already tiring of the pattern.

For a couple of years, I've been trying to get my sister to let me knit her a sweater. The first time I asked about a particular pattern, Union Square Market Sweater, she said, "Don't you think the neck is kind of funny?" I knew what she really meant was, "Thanks, but I don't like the pattern." I'm really glad I asked and that she didn't say she liked it when she didn't. It has been a few years, and I decided to try, again. This time with Tangled Yoke Cardigan. This time I was told, "Lovely sweater, but yoked sweaters don't look good on me." Wow, now that's a statement I can do something about! I showed her Bristow, and she liked it! I ordered yarn, yesterday, and am looking forward to starting it as soon as the yarn arrives! I ordered the same yarn as the pattern, Knit Picks Andean Silk. I don't usually use the specified yarn, but I though I'd try it for a change... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Danielle,
I'm Lisa Collins, designer of the UnGranny Smith cardigan. I'm really pleased you've decided to knit it and I look forward to seeing a fabulous FO. And just so you know, I have a chronic case of startitis too...
Lisa

Jknits said...

I love the sweater pattern - it looks like a lot of fun to knit. I keep thinking that the more projects I have going, the more I will finish - does it work that way?
:)