Monday, April 23, 2007

New Projects...

Despite my shoulder pain, I tried knitting this weekend. I don't really have anything to show for it, though...On Saturday morning, I met a long time friend at Village Yarn and Tea. We both brought WIP with us, but then purchased yarn for a new project. We agree that planning and beginning a project is so much fun! (Of course we like having things finished, but not enough to do those last pieces of finishing work to make a WIP a FO! LOL)

I bought yarn for the winter vest, Snowmen and Skates, that will be a Christmas present for my nephew. When I had almost finished the snowmen part of the chart, I realized that they were puckering. Not being happy with the way it looked, I frogged the whole thing. Just before starting to rip it out, I measured, and found that I had cast on too few stitches. It would have been too small! Last night, I tried casting on again. I made it through the ribbing, and started to work on the fair isle. At the end of the first row, I had too few stitches to finish the pattern repeat. It took forever to figure out what happened. I had miscounted the number of stitches per repeat! (I am using different yarn and needles than those that the pattern calls for, so there are changes that I have to make. These changes were all based on a 17 stitches repeat, when in actuality the repeat is 32 stitches!!) Now that I have the stitch repeat counted correctly, I knit a swatch, which is something I should have done before, and am now ready to cast on for real. It is so much fun to knit, that I'm hoping to re-cast on tonight.

Also started, are my Lacy Mock Cable socks. The pattern is turning out great! They are a very easy pattern to memorize and I am almost to the heel flap of the first sock. There have been no problems with these, and I like the fact that socks can be such quick knits!!

1 comments:

Jknits said...

I have to agree that planning is almost as much fun as finishing and so much easier.
It's frustrating to have to start over, but it sounds like you are at least enjoying the project. You're starting to think about Christmas already!? It's not even July. I think you should get a special award for that.