Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Silver Falls Retreat Part 2

Saturday morning presented itself with a little snowfall on the ground. The snow made the silence of the park more pronounced and glorious. Walking from my lodge to the dining hall was quiet. There were the sounds of a couple of women talking, the trickle of the stream and the continued silence of the snow falling. It took between 1-3 minutes, depending on walking speed, to go from the lodge to the dining hall or conference room. I walked the path often. Many times, I left something that I knew I would need in my room to give me an excuse to walk up the hill to get it. Even in the cold, the walk was welcome.
After breakfast on Saturday, I had Lace Basics taught by JC. During the class, the snow continued to fall. We were in one the rooms of the dining hall where there were windows on three sides all looking into the woods. It was so lovely and the picture really doesn’t do it justice. She did a wonderful job talking us through the subject and then starting us on a swatch. There were several patterns from which to choose.
While she was talking and after I finished my swatch, I continued to work on my Brilliance Pullover, making much progress. The yarn is so lovely to work with and I am enjoying it immensely. By the end of the day’s activities I had the upper left body completed to the point where it needed to be sewn onto the lower body. When I finished sewing it on, I had a little pyramid shaped piece poking straight out from the underarm into my arm! I was not happy. I talked it over with a couple of the other knitters in my lodge and we came to the conclusion that the pattern had an error. A couple of us thought we had it figured out, but it just didn’t seem quite right. I decided that I could keep working on the upper body and that I would contact the designer when I arrived home. However, a little later, another knitter looked at the pattern and declared that there were two sections that had been repeated, from later in the pattern. Once those two were removed, the pattern made sense! I was overjoyed to know that I had not knitted a ton of stitches that would need to be ripped. I only had to put the lower body stitches back on my needles and knit a few more rows before binding off! Whew…

1 comments:

g-girl said...

whew, thank goodness you were surrounded by fellow knitters who could help you figure out what was wrong with the pattern you were following!