Saturday, April 05, 2008

Decluttering the House

Recently I found a Yahoo group, Fly Lady, that has been encouraging me to declutter and really clean up around the house. Two of my favorite sayings from the site are: 1) Why not now? and 2) Set the timer and work on it for just 15 minutes. It has amazed me how much I can get done in as little as 15 minutes. I've cleaned and reorganized so many, many places, drawers and closets in the short 6 weeks that I've been reading her daily emails. I am starting to feel more relaxed in my own home, which I absolutely love. Now, mind you, my home really wasn't very dirty or that disorganized as I was doing an alright job before. However, I was stressed out by how and when I was doing what I was doing, if that makes any sense. I've been reading the testimonials about the various tools that she sells (to keep the website free) and how great they are. So, the other day I decided to place a small order and test out a couple of those tools. This first one, is the Rubba Scrubba. In my kitchen and bathrooms, the cabinet doors have lots of little corners that collect dust and are just about impossible to wipe with a cloth. Enter this handy tool and they're all clean in just 10 minutes! I also used it to pull the cat hair off my favorite wool coat. It worked well for loosening it so that a regular lint brush could do its work in a much shorter time. All in all, I'm hooked! :)

4 comments:

Jknits said...

It's nice to read an independent review! I agree on Fly Lady - my house still isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than it was.

Karen said...

I like FlyLady a lot too. I love here motto that it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be better than it was. I'm such a perfectionist, I appreciate the reminder to let go a bit. I've never tried any of the tools - but it sounds like they are wonderful. I'll have to look into them!

Theresa said...

I have tried the fly lady list twice but just get so bogged down. Part of my journey to being whole is getting rid of the clutter. I am working on it as I can and keep hoping that it will be insentive to get rid of stuff before we move bakc to WA, God willing!

That scrubber looks neat. Where did you buy it?

Lydee said...

Oooo, another flybaby. Flylady did wonders for me. I don't read her stuff as often since I went back to work, but thankgoodness for her methods!

I have her dusters and calendar and love them both.